The Delegation Map activity helps clarifying the expectation and delegation level between two individuals or two groups (A and B). It is a team building activity that lists and defines the delegation level for each specific aspect for their work agreement.
“Delegation is the assignment of responsibility or authority to another person (normally from a manager to a subordinate) to carry out specific activities.” from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delegation
Running the activity
- Identify A and B, the delegator and the “delegated” (e.g. A manager, B team; A father, B son; A Infra team, B Development team)
- Write down the key areas to be considered on post-its. Write them as a group activity. Try eliminating duplicates.
- Place the key areas on the canvas as column titles, then draw a vertical line for each area
- Write the following delegation levels as row titles
- Tell – A makes a decision and communicates it to B.
- Sell – A makes a decision and convinces B it is right.
- Consult – A has a decision ready but shapes it based on B input.
- Join – Decisions are made with equal authority between A and B.
- Advise – B prepares a decision with input from A before finalizing it.
- Confirm – B makes a decision and seeks buy-in from A.
- Delegate – A passes off a decision to B without influencing it.
- Draw horizontal lines for each delegation level, forming a map for all key areas and the seven delegation levels
- Group conversation and delegation level definitions; using a post-it as a marker (pink post-it on the photo below), decide the delegation level for each area.
Please find below a sequence of photos for this activity.
This activity is based on the seven levels of authority as defined by Jurgen Appelo, author of Management 3.0. The idea for combining it with post-its was ispired on a similar activity by Alejandro Olchik.
Remote team advise: Share the following remote board with the participants. On this board, each column is a delegation level. As a group, talk about one key area. Then decide under which delegation level to add it. Move to the next key area, until it is over.