This is a short activity to measure participants’ engagement for the meeting at hand
Running the activity
1. Ask each participant to report anonymously his or her attitude toward the retrospective as an Explorer, Shopper, Vacationer or Prisoner.
– Explorers – Are eager to discover new ideas and insights. They want to learn everything they can about the iteration/release/project.
– Shoppers – Will look over all the available information, and will be happy to go home with one useful new idea.
– Vacationers – Aren’t interested in the work of the retrospective, but are happy to be away from the daily grind.
– Prisoners – Feel that they’ve been forced to attend and would rather be doing something else.
2. Collect the results and create a histogram to show the data.
3. Acknowledge the results and guide a discussion about what the results mean for the group.