Guess my favorite song is a great team building activity to get people to know a little more about each other.
Running the activity:
- Give one post-it and a sharpie to each participant
- Ask each participant to write their favorite song (please ask then to use uppercase and good handwriting to keep it anonymous).
- Collect the notes using a hat (or a bag).
- Shake it and leave the hat on the center of the room.
- Ask one participant walk to the hat, collect a note, read the song name out loudly and try guessing whose favorite song it is.
- Optionally, the facilitator should find the song (spotify or similar) and play it for the group.
Music has been with humans as long as we can collectively remember. Song sharing is a great team building tool. Music foster group interactions; music brings good memories and get people talking about something beyond work activities. It´s a great and simple team building activity.
I have learned this team building activity from Gabriel Sixel. Alternative option: Guess Who Likes it for favorite movie (youtube trailer trailer).
Remote teams’ advice: Open the FunRetrospectives remote board (button below) and follow the same steps (no need for a hat). Instead of writing the song names on post-it, ask people to add their favorite song (as a youtube link) on the FunRetrospective board card. Then follow the same steps: someone clicks on the video clip and make the guess while everyone enjoys (or laugh about) the video clip.