The hero’s journey is a futurespective activity to help describing a story a team is pursuing. It is inspired on Joseph Campbell’s book. You can play this video to the group to get them inspired for the activity!
Running the activity
1. Explain the intent of the activity:
We are here to collective write our hero’s journey story.
2. Describe the main areas of our journey. We are focusing on the following areas of our story:
- the hero; who is the person or the group going through the journey
- the guide; the people and things guiding the hero
- the cavern; the challenges ahead
- the treasure; the awards and achievements
3. Ask the participants to write their notes for each area
4. Group conversation
We have applied this activity for describing what a large organization transformation would be like. It was every helpful for early identification of the people involved, the main challenges, desired outcomes, and the needed guidance.
We have also seen it being used after the fact, not as a futurespective, but as an activity to help the team tell a story about a journey they have just gone through.