Human Rock Paper Scissors is a fun, quick energizer activity that can be used to get everyone moving and laughing. Many people are familiar with the classic hand game, rock-paper-scissors. This game is a variation on the game, but requires people to get on their feet, move, and act as a team, rather than an individual.
Running the activity:
- As a group, decide a full-body pose that will signify each element (e.g. Rock – each person of one group will bend down and hug their knees and curl into a ball so they look like a rock, Scissors – each person of one group will stand with legs shoulder-width apart and both arms up and hands behind the head so they look like a scissor).
- After the poses are decided, break participants into two groups. For each round, each group will need to do one of the poses (everyone in each group will need to do the same pose). Each group will have 5 minutes to strategize.
- Once all of the groups have their poses ready, a facilitator will have the two groups face each other and count down from 3 (i.e. 3….2…1….SHOOT). On “SHOOT” each group will need to strike one of the three poses. Rock beats Scissors, Scissors beat Paper, and Paper beats Rock.
- Best out of 5 rounds wins.
I have learned the Human Rock Paper Scissors from Charles Du. This activity is especially fun because it can be modified to many different themes and variations. I have heard about the great Canadian variation: Cowboy, Bear and Ninja (ninja kills the cowboy; cowboy kills the bear; bear kills the ninja).
- Instruct everyone on the group to open the remote board.
- Each person should decide his/her personal selection: rock, paper or scissor. Write his/her name under the respective column, but do not hit “Enter”
- Count down…3, 2, 1 and say SHOOT (Everyone should hit “Enter:”at the same time).
- Check the result, then repeat (delete the itens and go back to step 2 ) until there is one group winner.