Path to Nirvana is a great futurospective activity for goal alignment and for visualizing smaller steps towards a big achievement.
Running the activity:
1. Write the word Nirvana on the top right corner of the canvas, with a short sentence describing it (either defined by one person, or as a result of the defining nirvana activity)
2. Draw a timeline on the canvas, having the word today on the left most side.
3. Write down major events or time periods on the timeline (e.g. Christmas holidays, summer school vacation, July, month one, month six…)
4. Ask the participants to add notes for smaller steps towards the path to Nirvana.
5. Group conversation on the path to nirvana, with action items (use a different post it color)
Below is a sample Path to Nirvana photo by José Pedro de Santana Neto. He have used this activity on a major software conference for discussing Agile adoption for a very large institution.