Plan of Action is an action planning group activity which raises the participant’s most appealing ideas. It brings a good balance on time and collaboration while encouraging participants to discuss and sign up to actionable work.
Running the activity
1. Ask participants to individually write actions on the specific format below. Each participant should write from one to three actions on index cards
Long-term goal: <what is the long term goal for this idea? >
Now-Action: < the very first concrete action towards the goal >
3. Ask the groups to decide upon the top two cards
4. Join two adjacent groups, and repeat the step above
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 if desirable (depends on the group size and if you want fewer selected cards/actions)
6. Ask the participants to present each one of the selected top cards to the whole group
7. Ask each person to write down their name on a small post-it and place it on the card they want to work on.
I find this activity especially usefully for motivating large groups of people to: (1) elaborate goals and identify concrete actionable work items, and (2) to coordinate and collaborate upon the execution of concrete action items.
Below is a sequence of photos from this activity.
|four groups of three people; each group chooses their top two cards|
|two groups of six people; each group chooses their top two cards|
|top cards are presented to the whole group|
|each participant chooses a card to work on|