This is a forward thinking exercise, with an eye on the past. It is a mix of retrospective and futurospective which uncover risks.
I find this activity especially useful when used a few weeks before a milestone or a release.
1. Let’s start by looking back. Please write notes and place them on the following two areas on the left side of hte drawing: Engine and Parachute.
- Looking Back – Engine: What have been pushing us forward? Making us move fast?
- Looking Back – Parachute: What have been slowing us down?
2. Now, let’s looking ahead, at the near future. Please write notes and place them on the following two areas on the right side of the drawing: Abyss and Bridge.
- Looking Ahead – Abyss: What are the dangers ahead? What could take us down the role?
- Looking Ahead – Abyss:Bridge: What could we build to overcome such challenges? What shall we do to overcome the abyss?
Below is a sample result of a retrospective using this activity.