The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is a retrospective activity commonly used to boost conversations about improvements.
Step by step
- Start by playing the The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) movie trailer
- Split the canvas into three areas:
- The Good – things that went well, and we should repeat, do more of it
- The Bad – things that should have never happened, and we must get rid of it
- The Ugly – things that did not go so well, and we should look for improvements, turning it into it beautiful
- Ask the participants to add notes to each of the three areas
- Conversations and action items
This activity is based on the 1966 Westerm movie The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, starring Clint Eastwood. It is (at least it was) a common jargon back on the days. But it still giver a good hint that we should focus on the good, get rid of the bad and turn the ugly into beauty.
Remote team’ advice: Start your remote retro playing the movie trailer. It´s a good way to connect people to a purpose; in this case, to look for improvements.