The Defining Team Vision Statement provides an overall statement summarizing, at the highest level, the unique position that the team intends to fill in the organization.
Running the activity:
- Write the team vision statement template on the whiteboard (or a common canvas):
* For (target organization)
* Who (statement of the need or opportunity)
* The (team name, identity) is a (team classification, category)
* That (team singularity, compelling reason for the team existence)
* Unlike (current alternative without the team)
* Our team (statement of primary differentiation)
- Divide the team into smaller groups and ask each group to fill in a blank separately (or more than one, depending on the size of the team).
- Gather the results of each group, forming a unique sentence.
While running this activity, the team vision statement template provides a short motivating set of words, summarizing and encapsulating the principle elements of the team’s vision and identity. After being created, the team vision statement communicates the intent and the importance of the team to the overall organization and concerned people.
Remote-team advice: This activity works well for remote teams. Use a remote board of your choice.