FLAP is a great project/phase postmortem activity. You should run it as close to the end of a project/phase as possible—don’t wait or everyone will forget what happened.
Running the activity:
- Prepare and explain the FLAP canvas quadrants:
* Future directions: Please write down all future directions regarding the project/phase.
* Lessons learned: Please write down the key lessons and takeaways from the project/phase.
* Accomplishments: Please write down the key accomplishments for the project/phase.
* Problem areas: Please write down the problematic areas experienced throughout the specified project/phase.
- Ask participants for their notes.
- Discuss with the group and share the results.
This activity is a change for the usual retrospective, covering a broader area and looking ahead. It gets the team reflecting about what happened and how those lessons can be applied in future projects. It also provides a space for the team to celebrate their achievements.
Remote-team advice: This activity works well for remote teams. Use a remote board of your choice.