One Two Ping Four Pong is a short activity to start up a meeting in a good mood and get participants engaged.
Running the activity:
- Ask participants to form a circle.
- Participants must decide upon a direction to follow (clockwise or counterclockwise).
- Someone starts by saying any positive number that is not a multiple of three or five.
- The next person, following the agreed-upon direction, mentally increments the number by one. Then:
- If the number is not a multiple of three or five: Says the number.
- If the number is a multiple of three: Says ping and claps.
- If the number is a multiple of five: Says pong and jumps.
For large groups, it is recommended to remove a person from the circle for making a mistake or erroneously accusing someone. Soon, everyone will be laughing and cheering for the remaining ones.
Remote-team advice: This activity works well for remote teams. Use the communication tool of your preference. After a person says the number, ping or pong, they should also say the name of the next participant.