Open the Box fosters innovation and challenges the current activities performed by the team.
Running the activity:
- Start by reading the following quote:
“The world as we have created it is a process of our thinking. It cannot be changed without changing our thinking.” – Albert Einstein.
- Bring the participants’ attention to the box metaphor (if possible, bring a box with you).
“Inside this box there are all activities performed by the team. Please open the box…”
- Split the whiteboard or canvas in three areas. Draw the open box in the center.
- Explain each of the areas:
- Which activities should be removed from the box?
- Which activities should be added?
- Which ones do we have to recycle?
We created this activity inspired by Silvio Meira’s talk on innovation. As he said, “sometimes we have to reinvent ourselves and think out of the box.” It is an alternative to keep the team engaged while slightly changing the format.
Remote-team advice: This activity works well for remote teams. Use a remote board of your choice.