Path to Nirvana is a great activity that focuses on creating a common goal alignment and visualizing smaller steps toward a big achievement.
Running the activity:
This activity is divided into two parts.
Part one – defining nirvana
- Write the word “nirvana” on the top right corner of the canvas.
- Break the team into smaller groups of three or four people each.
- Ask each group to write a short sentence to describe the nirvana.
- Each group presents its short sentence describing the nirvana.
- Create one common sentence to define nirvana.
Part two – path to nirvana
- Write the word “nirvana” on the top right corner of the canvas, with its definition.
- Draw a timeline on the canvas, having the word “today” on the leftmost side.
- Write down major events or time periods on the timeline (e.g., Christmas holidays, Summer school vacation, July, month one, month six…).
- Ask participants to add notes for smaller steps on the path to nirvana.
- Group conversation about the steps.
It is very interesting to see how this simple question gets participants very engaged and then aligned: what is our nirvana? Once the team is in agreement about that, it’s much easier to clarify the steps towards it.
Remote-team advice: This activity works well for remote teams. Use a remote board of your choice.