Problems & Actions provides a quick way to brainstorm and select ideas and actions for solving problems affecting the team.
Running the activity:
- Ask participants to individually write down each and every perceived problem; one per sticky note.
- Write the word problem on the top of the canvas, and then ask participants to place their sticky notes on that area. They should combine common notes.
- Ask participants to individually write down all possible actions for solving those problems.
- Write the word “actions” next to the word “problem” (on the top of the canvas), then ask participants to place their sticky notes on that area. They should combine common notes.
- Have an open conversation about the problems and proposed actions.
This activity is especially useful, as it clearly separates the problems from the proposed actions toward solutions. It helps teams that typically go into solutions and lose context on which problem they are trying to solve. This activity can generate too many ideas, which might require further analysis and narrow down. Consider time-boxing it and planning a filtering activity after it.
Remote-team advice: This activity works well for remote teams. Use a remote board of your choice.