The Success Criteria for a team should be brief, succinct, with clearly defined intentions, target outcome, and conditions for proving its results. This activity helps the team align on that.
Running the activity:
- Create a canvas with the following labels:
* Intention: the idea that you plan (or intend) to carry out.
* Target: the key target outcomes towards the intention.
* Successful if: the indicator(s) that prove(s) the criteria is being met.
* Failure if: the indicator(s) that prove(s) the criteria is not being met.
- Write down the intention (consider defining it as a group if it is not clearly stated).
- Ask participants to write down the key target outcomes towards the intention on individual sticky notes.
- Place notes on the target area.
- Organize the target outcomes. Consider grouping similar notes and removing or rewriting notes that are not clear or broadly defined.
- Ask participants to write and place notes for each target outcome for the success and failure indication condition. Place these on the same line as the target outcome.
- Group conversation about the notes on each line.
A clear success criteria for a team leads to more focused actions to achieve it. This activity helps the team be on the same page for what the criteria is, and how they will track its progress.
Remote-team advice: This activity works well for remote teams. Use a remote board of your choice.