Untangle Yourselves is a great energizer to get people moving. It has a very interesting message on finding your way out of a tangled situation.
Running the activity:
- Ask the group to form a circle.
- Get everyone to put their hands up.
- Give the tangling instructions.
- Ask the group to untangle themselves without letting the hands go, and trying to form a circle.
- With your right hand, grab someone’s left hand.
- With your left hand, grab someone’s right hand.
- You cannot grab the hands of people next to you.
Group size: larger than six people, up to any number. For very large groups, break into smaller groups of approximately 12 people.
The group will jump hands, switch around, and find a way out, forming either one or more circles. Sometimes, it is not possible to untangle. In such scenarios, ask the group to select one person to be removed. Hands that become free