Well, Not So Well, New Ideas is commonly used to bring conversations about the positive notes, the improvements and suggestions that the team has in mind.
Running the activity:
- Split the canvas into three areas:
* Well – things that went well, that moves us forward, helps us get better. We want to repeat these!
* Not so well – things that went wrong, that need improvement, that hold us back. We want to eliminate or avoid these!
* New ideas – things that we should consider trying, suggestions, new ideas.
- Ask participants to add notes to each of the three areas.
- Conversations and action items.
This is a very common retrospective activity. It is direct and straight to the point: What went well? Not so well? Do you have any new ideas? It is definitely a great option for teams getting used to retrospectives.
Remote-team advice: This activity works well for remote teams. Use a remote board of your choice.